Spring St. Los Angeles, CA


Spring St. Los Angeles, CA, originally uploaded by Rob Carey2.

August 3, 2010. I lost track of time with this one. I started after dinner and kept drawing until 2 am. Time to call it a day. My daughter's still awake, planning her 16th birthday party with her friend. Big stuff. She's going for an 80's theme- you know, back in the old days. She was playing old 80's tunes downstairs and I found myself singing along. Pathetic. (Later): Some explanation for this drawing- I am not in LA right now, like this would suggest. Someone tipped me off to something called "google street view," so I looked it up and instantly loved it. I found myself cruising down the streets of Southern CA, finding my old houses and haunts. And then I got my sketchbook out and started drawing a typical scene from downtown. Way too fun. I wish they had this for Germany.

8 comments:

raena said...

This post really made me laugh; I had to show my mother (who lives with me). I graduated high school in 86, and my mother still refers to my husband and I as 'the kids'. Fabulous drawing.

Rob Carey said...

thanks, Raena. Hope I'm always a kid at heart.

Rene Fijten said...

Great drawing. I did not know Germany has no streetview, we in the Netherlands have it. It's funny to see my car in front of my house. Although I have mixed feelings, if everything is recorded and pictured, even if you don't want it to, what is there left of anonimity?

Rob Carey said...

I'm ok as long as they don't have "homeview" where anyone can walk through your house.

Bill Sharp said...

Great sketch, Rob. Street view is fun. I spent an afternoon driving around the Canary Islands amd Prague, a while back.

Rob Carey said...

I didn't know Prague was covered- I love that city. I'll have to check it out, Bill.

Catzia said...

Hallo Rob,

verfolgst du nicht die deutschen Medien? Wir haben auch bald streetview, nur wir nehmen das datenschutzrechtlich nicht so einfach hin."Big Brother" soll es nicht leicht haben bei uns :-))
Schließlich gibt es nicht nur nette Leute wie du, die Straßen nur zeichnen wollen...

Deine Zeichnung ist sehr fein und detailreich.

Rob Carey said...

Ja? Dass wusste ich nicht- Normalerweise folge Ich "The Local," aber Ich habe dass nicht gelesen.kühl bei mir!