giving up


an Ilya Repin, originally uploaded by Rob Carey2.

January 28, 2011. I tried a little watercolor of Ilya Repin's portrait of Modest Mussorsky tonight. It's been a rough week, fighting some germs that were determined to discourage me. I don't know where you're at right now. If you're human like me, chances are you've gotten discouraged now and then, for one reason or another. I'm sure you've heard it before, but don't give up. Just heard about someone we know who tried to give up last night. Unfortunately, I've known a few friends who have. For what it's worth, hang in there. Like I've said before on this blog, sometimes it seems like there's no one out there who cares. But as sure as there's a sunrise tomorrow, there's a God who cares.

6 comments:

Alex Zonis said...

I recognized the portrait immediately! Amazing work getting Mussorgsky's likeness like that and the feeling of Repin's painting style! Color me very impressed.

I wish you to get over your germs quickly. I am hosting some of their relatives on this side of the pond myself. Not fun!

Rob Carey said...

Yeah, they've been working overtime this year it seems! Hope you feel better too, Alex.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Great work and greater words: Hope you get well soon. The germs of inspiration are the only ones that are welcome.

Rob Carey said...

I like that- thanks, Paulo.

Stephen Gardner said...

Rob, I've been out of the loop for a little while but I just have to tell you that I think your work, which I have long admired has gotten so much stronger. You have encouraged me to get out there again. The work you have been posting on Urban Sketchers lately is just wonderful. Thanks for the inspiration.

Rob Carey said...

thanks, Stephen. That's a real encouragement, coming from one of my favorite sketchers. Cheers.