back to Meiringen


Meiringen, Switzerland, originally uploaded by Rob Carey2.

March 28, 2011. We were back in Meiringen this past weekend, and I took some time to sit across from a couple old structures on the main street in town and sketch this. A lady who lives in the building there on the left came out to see my sketch and told me that she also works in watercolor. The old hotel there on the right is completely empty and will soon be renovated. With all the dark windows, I found it a mysterious place, especially being in the town famous for Sherlock Holmes' death.

11 comments:

Peter Bangs said...

Another fantastic tall picture. Do you layout in pencil first or is this directly in pen and watercolour?

NoviceArtist said...

I agree with Peter's question above, and would love to know the answer.

I'm still drawing, still learning, and still stretching out.

What a beautiful blog since the last time I visited.

And what a gorgeous pic.

RobCarey said...

I almost always layout roughly in pencil. I know some people go directly with pen, but I make a lot of mistakes!

Peter Bangs said...

Thanks for that Rob. I took to working directly in pen because I was becoming way to fussy about my line work. Never managed to achieve anything like this without pencil first though so time to combine the two where needed. Thanks again.

Rene Fijten said...

Great detailing Rob.

RobCarey said...

Yeah, it's personal preference. I just like the end result much better when I draw this way. Otherwise I tend to leave out important details that add to the finished project. It may lack some of that spontaneity and loose feel, but it's just my style for now.

RobCarey said...

thanks, Rene!

Michael said...

A nice composition and the jazz instrumental in the video is lovely. To continue technical questions, your paper must be fairly thick to take a watercolour wash. Is it 90 lbs or 140?

RobCarey said...

Thanks, Michael. These days I use a Pentalic 130 lb, 25% cotton natural white paper, from Oregon.

Wilfred said...

Great video, Rob!

As a side note, I thought you were living in the States. My sense of observation needs to be tuned up. :)

RobCarey said...

Thanks, Wilfred. We've been In Germany 14 years now- very hard to believe.