deeper waves


Kandern Cemetery, originally uploaded by Rob Carey2.

April 13, 2011. Another day of glorious low-budget vacationing. My son and I took a sack lunch to Basel, sat on the Rhine and philosophically talked about the difference between the exciting, yet brief waves of a speedboat that passed by, and the deep, long-lasting waves projected by a slow-moving barge that moved up the river. So many analogies there. We came home and I sat in the cemetery to sketch this little scene, a reminder of the brevity of life, and the importance to love those God put in your path today.

7 comments:

NoviceArtist said...

What a great time you had with your son. You are right we can draw so many analogies with that discussion. Great drawing of the cemetery. Love the encouragement to love those God puts in our path today, and every day...I think some are unlovable but we are to try to love them anyways. Thanks.

Alex Zonis said...

Love the cemetery scene! Love cemeteries in general, but yours here is especially pleasant. Makes me want to take my sketchbook to a historical cemetery I have in a walking distance here.

RobCarey said...

I think I'll have to draw more up there, as the grounds are so beautiful and colorful these days.

Rene Fijten said...

Really excellent drawing. Super hatching. And these analogies, what can I say.

RobCarey said...

I've always liked looking for analogies- thanks, Rene.

Peter Bangs said...

Looking forward to doing things like that with my son, I already love doing them with my daughter. Another wonderful picture, wish we had graveyards like that around here, they're such great drawing subjects.

RobCarey said...

Yeah, here, unless they're built into the wall, the old tomb stones are dug up and discarded, replaced by newer ones. A shame, I think.