to arrest motion


Moleskine 4/17/2011, originally uploaded by Rob Carey2.

April 18, 2011. My daughter returned from Uganda, full of stories and emotions. Through her stories and photos we attempt to experience those events with her. The children were amazed at her white skin, blue eyes, and blond hair. They tried to wipe the whiteness from her arms. She, in turn, was amazed at their joy in spite of poverty, and their hope, despite their surroundings. She again learned that our happiness has very little to do with our material possessions, but has everything to do with relationship to each other and the creator.

7 comments:

Shandara said...

Oh wow... this is amazing... it just pops out

Rene Fijten said...

Must have been some experience for your daughter. Again a superb drawing. What size of paper you use?

RobCarey said...

thanks Shandara and Rene. This is drawn in a large Moleskine (20x26cm).

NoviceArtist said...

Gorgeous drawing. I am glad your daughter is back safe and sound. I know this trip will remain with her all her life. I don't know if she has gone on any others, but they are life changing. I served as a full time volunteer mission worker in the Southwest US on an Indian reservation for two years right after college. That changed my life. As I learn to draw more, I want to share some drawings from that time period.

Great post and pic.

RobCarey said...

She's one fortunate girl, to have all these experiences in four continents now. She knows a lot more than I did at that age.

Pierre Raby said...

Amazing sketch Rob with so many levels of reading, a moment in time.
Also, there're so many great works since my last visit, I could leave comments on each single one, you are so creative!

RobCarey said...

thank you, Pierre. My goal was to do a sketch for every day of my spring vacation. I think I'm going to reach it...