sketching with Gabi

Mill Creek Town Center, WA
at Mill Creek Town Center, WA
June 11, 2011. It would have been a shame to come all the way to Seattle and not get a chance to sketch with Gabi Campanario, aka the "Seattle Sketcher." He is the one who most inspired me to begin sketching on location in the first place. We sketched the Starbucks at the Mill Creek Town Center, near his house, sipping Jamba Juice. I did my best to sketch "Gabi style" with this one, working fast and trying to capture the scene with energetic lines and splashes of color. Meanwhile, he sketched the same scene and sketched me too. You can see his sketch of Starbucks [here] and his sketch of me [here]. Gabi's not only a great artist, he's a great person as well, and I was privileged to get a couple days to hang out with him and see his life.

8 comments:

Liz Steel said...

ah ha! (further to my comment on flickr) you were sketching in gabi-style! It worked really well!
Great you got to meet Gabi... not planning a trip down under in the near future???

Rene Fijten said...

Great to see my two favoutite USK together. I like the energy in this drawing, Rob.

RobCarey said...

thank you, Liz and Rene. How I would love to get to Australia and the Netherlands to meet you both and do some sketching. You never know! Rene, you're really not that far away. I will definitely let you know if I know I'll be even remotely close.

Rene Fijten said...

You are right, it's not that far. Let's see if we can arrange something.

Bill Sharp said...

So nice to see you in the Pacific NW. It's only 3 hours south to Portland. If you get down this way, I hope you'll let me know.

RobCarey said...

Definitely! I would have liked to get down to Portland- we're planning on getting through there again next summer, so maybe it'll work out next time, Bill.

ravingkiko said...

I'm glad you had a nice visit to Seattle. Did you do anything in Pioneer Square? That's where I live and I would love to see your interpretation of a familiar sight. If weren't for Gabi and his wonderful sketches in the paper I would never have found so many great artists to follow. You are one of my very favorites.

RobCarey said...

thanks, ravingkiko. No, I didn't get to Pioneer Square. Unfortunately, we were only in Seattle a couple of days, and not much time to sketch while there at all. My one hour with Gabi was the only sketching I got! Thanks again for your generous note!