trees and rocks and water

state line b/t California & Nevada

sketching in Tahoe region

near Cave Rock, Lake Tahoe, NV

stateline b/t California & Nevada

Daggett Summit Lake Tahoe, NV

Kahle meadow- Lake Tahoe, NV

July 11, 2011. Trees and rocks and lakes, and more trees... There's no way I could capture the beauty of Lake Tahoe, but I gave it a whirl. Everywhere we roamed I found gobs of subjects to sketch. Some day I'll have to travel around to all the old historical Californian gold rush towns and fill some sketchbooks with the great sights. My brother-in-law was reading a dusty old book written by a guy who lived during the old west days of California- it got me re-interested in that time period and desirous to sketch some of those old haunts.

9 comments:

kb said...

wow! the re-taken photos look totally different! like winter and summer!

RobCarey said...

Yeah, I retook the photos in morning light as opposed to evening light and the colors were much truer. I like natural light better than scanning.

Frankie said...

Great sketches Rob! Makes me miss my core drilling days...we were always in old mining towns. I loved reading about the history of the towns we visited...and you are sooo right...the trees...the fragrance. So near to God in the forest. Missing all of you of course. Lots of long bike rides and hot days.

Hugs, mom

Irina said...

Lake Tahoe will be satisfied if sees these sketches, I am sure. Great. As usual.

Michael said...

Thanks Rob for enlarging your sketches. I appreciate all the detail you put into your work. My favorite in this collection is the solitary pine ... I guess because of the simplicity of the composition and what you leave to our imagination.

Rene Fijten said...

You are discovering the white of the paper. Well done Rob, and some more beautiful days!

RobCarey said...

thanks Mom, Irina, Michael, and Rene! It's been a while since I've had a connection, so fun to see your remarks.

Sheean said...

I-I'm blown away by your sketches Rob! You are one of the most incredible sketchers/watercolor and ink artist I have yet to meet! I'm 15, and some day, I hope to sketch as detailed and vividly as you.

Do you paint on location? How long does each sketch take? Any tips on how to draw and paint?

RobCarey said...

Thank you, Sheean. Yes, I do work on location, but not exclusively. When I was your age, I built a tilted drawing table- very large, and drilled holes at the top for my pencils and pens. I spent a lot of time trying to draw from photos in National Geographic magazines as practice. I also drew comics from imagination and studied other artists that I liked. If you haven't read the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain," you should take a look at it, as I think it has some good advise and exercises. If you get a chance, post some of your drawings, as I'd like to see them. -Rob