11/30/2011

sketchbooks

November 30, 2011. Here are some of the sketchbooks I've used the past couple of years. I've enjoyed filling up several 11 x 8.5 inch Pentalic Nature Sketch pads. (Pentalic website) I found these up in Post Falls, Idaho. They are 130 lb cold press pages, and off-white. At the same art supply store I found the Strathmore Visual Journal 140 lb. cold press sketchbook (300 g/qm), which I loved. I like the heavy, snow-white pages with very little tooth. (Strathmore's blog) Of course, I love using the Moleskine brand watercolor sketchbooks (Moleskine), and I'm excited to begin using a new A4 size watercolor sketchbook that my wife just brought back from the States. A couple weekends ago, my son and I went up to Freiburg for the day, where we found a wonderful art supply store and came home with a 30 x 40 cm Hahnemuehle 300 g/qm (140 lb) hot pressed sketch block, (Hahnemuehle), and a cold-press block of the same size, made by Art Select. (site) Although I like them both, I have to say I'm strongly attracted to the hot press block, even though I don't really know what I'm doing with it yet. Over the summer, I was excited to receive a gift of several sketchbooks to sample from Stillman & Birn. Unfortunately, my suitcases were so heavily packed, I wasn't able to bring all of them home to Germany with me, so I am looking forward to getting started with them this coming summer in California.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Rob, what type of pen/pencil case is pictured? I have seen it on a few of your posts. I am just starting in the sketching outdoors and looking for a storage case.

RobCarey said...

I use a Lamy Safari- refillable fountain pen with Noodler's Bulletproof black ink.