Fasnacht Parade

Fasnacht Parade in Kandern, DE

February 19, 2012. Today is the annual Fasnacht parade in Kandern. After lunch, I went downtown to sketch a bit of the scene before the heavy celebrations got started. Here's one of the floats, boasting a sturdy observation deck and gaping mouth, from which a couple kids emerged to come look at the funny guy drawing pictures on the side of the road. I say funny guy, because I was certainly out of place, in the crowd of masked and befeathered ghouls and trolls. The music was thumping and the adrenaline was pumping, as folks came from all around to take part in this revered cultural event.

4 comments:

Rene Fijten said...

Nice to see they have Carnaval in Kandern as well. I was in Maastricht today to look at the parade there, I couldn't draw, it was far to cold (we had lots of snow and hail during the parade). Glad you had the opportunity.

Owl said...

A great day to be out sketching & capturing the unusual with pen and wash in your own way. I hope the bystanders have enjoyed your work just as much as I have.

RobCarey said...

Rene- I didn't stick around for the parade, actually, but it was good to talk to some of the folks before the thing started, and they seemed to like my sketch.

Owl- some of the bystanders did come around and I enjoyed talking to them and showing them the book.

Rene Fijten said...

I know it's hard to believe, but I can tell you from experience nothing beats joining in on a parade like that!