a momentary truce

Joyeux Noël December 12, 2012. I got hit pretty hard this week with "die Grippe" as we said in Germany- the cold/flu thing going around. Teaching and late night prepping and planning has kept me busy the last few weeks, so there hasn't been time for sketching. Here's a little sketch inspired by the story of the famous 1914 Christmas Truce, in which soldiers from both sides of the trenches put down their arms and celebrated the season together. I spent a lot of time up in the Vosges mountains in France, wandering around in the World War I trenches, taking groups of visitors up there and showing them where the French and German soldiers mucked about, coughed, and breathed their last. While there, I often thought about the truce, and what a contrast it must have been to the cold hearted brutalities of war. And then I think about the blinding radiance of hope, through a promise of "peace on earth" to a lowly group of shepherds on a darkened hillside in Palestine, and the divine insertion of the Son of God into a world nearly void of that hope. It is a good time of year to "stop and thank."

No comments: